Ever wondered how duplicate content is handled or how to report a hacked site? Are you a beginner webmaster or owner of a small business wanting to get online?
We got Adam Lasnik, Google's Search Evangelist to answer many such questions for you. Jayan, our webmaster forum guide from India, interviewed Adam recently.
Below is an excerpt from the interview.
Watch the complete interview by visiting this playlist on our Youtube webmaster channel.
And here are the top ten tips from Adam to all the webmasters in India:
1. Focus on original and compelling content as the foundation of your site.
2. Put the core content and navigation of your site in text rather than graphics or Flash.
3. Link thoughtfully. Link to sites you trust and respect.
4. Test your site on multiple browsers, including on mobile phones.
5. Don't be fooled into paying for guaranteed Google rankings.
6. Take advantage of the free online resources at Google Webmaster Central.
7. Get attention and respect for your site by responsibly participating in online communities.
8. Protect your site and its visitors. Update your blog/site software to prevent hacking.
9. Use succinct and distinct title tags and image "alt attributes" to help users and Google understand your site's content
10. Focus on your passions and your users - then traffic and revenue should follow.
These tips are simple and will help you in the long run. Take it from Adam.
Posted by Paul and Manasa , Search Quality Team